Helpful Water Damage Tips
Even a small water damage event in your home or business can lead to potential problems in the future if it is not cared for properly. Immediate action is key when dealing with water damage. SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview are water damage specialists, we have the experience, expertise, and advanced training that enables us to get your property dried quickly and thoroughly. Here are some tips to help if you experience water damage:
Helpful Water Damage Tips:
- Shut off the water source if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Move any paintings, art objects, computers, documents, and other sensitive valuables to a dry place.
- Don’t enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers, or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Don’t use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water; this could cause electrical shock or damage to the vacuum cleaner.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
If you have water or flood damage in your home or business, call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview today at (773) 935-6750.