Tips for Outdoor Grilling
As the warm days of summer begin to fade, there will be cooler fall days to still enjoy the taste of a meal cooked outside on the grill. Here are some safety tips provided by the National Fire Protection Association to keep in mind when grilling:
General Grill Safety Tips:
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it.
If you have a Charcoal Grill:
- There are several ways to get the charcoal ready to use. Charcoal chimney starters allow you to start the charcoal using newspaper as a fuel.
- If you use a starter fluid, use only charcoal starter fluid. Never add charcoal fluid or any other flammable liquids to the fire.
- Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and away from heat sources.
- When you are finished grilling, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container.
Please stay safe with your outdoor grilling with the help of these safety tips. If you have any questions about Fire or Smoke damage, please contact SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview at 773-935-6750.