Fire Extinguisher Safety Tips for Lakeview?
SERVPRO® of Gold Coast/Lincoln Park/Lakeview responds to fire damage emergencies every year, and we see the difference having a home fire extinguisher can make. Here are some fire extinguisher safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association:
Use a portable fire extinguisher when:
- The fire is confined to a small area, such as a wastebasket
- The fire is not growing
- Everyone has exited the building
- The fire department has been called or is being called
- The room is not filled with smoke
To operate a fire extinguisher, remember the word PASS:
- Pull the pin. Hold the extinguisher with the nozzle pointing away from you, and release the locking mechanism.
- Aim low. Point the extinguisher at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly
- Sweep the nozzle from side-to-side
- For the home, select a multi-purpose extinguisher (can be used on all types of home fires) that is large enough to put out a small fire but not so heavy as to be difficult to handle
- Choose a fire extinguisher that carries the label of an independent testing laboratory
- Read the instructions that come with the fire extinguisher and become familiar with its parts and operation before a fire breaks out
When your Lakeview home or commercial business needs fire damage restoration services, SERVPRO® of Gold Coast/Lincoln Park/Lakeview is Here to Help. ® We’ll restore your fire damage, “Like it never even happened.” Call us at 773-935-6750.
Franchises are Independently Owned and Operated.