Recent Water Damage Posts
Caring For Your Belongings After Water Damage
SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview will take great care of your belongings after a water damage.
Water damage can affect not only the structure of your house but also your belongings. SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview understands that your home is more than a structure. Your furniture, clothing, keepsakes, and other belongings are important to you. We provide the following services to help restore and protect your belongings while we are restoring your home.
SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview specialize in restoring contents damaged by water. We pretest your contents to determine what items can be restored back to their condition before the water damage. We utilize several methods of cleaning your contents, including:
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to wet cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe - Effective for items that can’t withstand wet cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if wet cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
If your home requires extensive restoration, SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview can conduct an organized, efficient move-out of the affected area. A move-out will provide several benefits, including the following:
- A quicker remodeling process
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on-site damage
When restoration is completed, we will work with you to coordinate the move-in according to your needs.
We have in-house storage where we can keep your belongings safe from further damage, and can provide cleaning and restoration services for your belongings. We have a warehouse dedicated to storage where we can keep your items safe and secure.
If you are in need of our Restoration Services – Please call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview at (773) 935-6750.
Frozen Pipes can lead to Water Damage
SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview can help if you experience water damage caused from winter weather.
Winter weather can bring about more issues than just slippery roads and a sidewalk to shovel. If you live where temperatures sink below freezing level, you are also at risk for frozen pipes and ice dams, which can create a major disaster at your home or property.
Frozen pipes are often those exposed to the cold weather, such as those outside your house, or in cold areas such as basements, attics, garages or kitchen cabinets. A frozen pipe can burst at the point where the ice blockage inside the pipe is located, but typically the rupture is caused by the backflow pressure between the water source and the blockage. A burst pipe can cause considerable damage to your property if not addressed quickly. To prevent pipes from freezing, here are a few steps you can take, according to The American Red Cross.
- Be sure to completely drain water from swimming pool and sprinkler lines, as well as outside hoses.
- Open kitchen cabinets to let warm air circulate near the plumbing.
- When the weather is extremely cold, let water drip from faucets that may come from exposed pipes.
- Keep your heat set to the same temperature both day and night.
Ice dams can be a little-known, but major problem during the snowy season. They form when heated air melts roof snow downward into water dammed behind still-frozen ice. When the trapped water cannot safely flow or run into the gutter system, it can backflow under the roof ’s shingles and into the structure’s interior areas, as well as causing gutters and shingles to move or fall.
If winter weather causes water damage to your property, SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview is available to help – Call us at (773) 935-6750.
Source: Residential Newsline Volume 17, Issue 1
Beware! - It's the water you don't see.
This is a Moisture Meter - just one of the many tools used by SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview to detect unseen water.
Even small water damages have the potential to cause serious structural and indoor air quality issues over time. The key to avoiding costly future restoration is to handle every water problem as a real threat to your property. SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview Professionals have the equipment, training and experience to find and dry unseen water before secondary damages occur. The proper equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing the damage expense during a fire or water loss. When time matters, technology and equipment must be counted on to perform. SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview will answer your call with fast action and a full arsenal of drying equipment. Here are a few of the tools that we use:
Moisture Sensors are used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and walls.
Moisture Meters are used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture tester provides accurate readings, allowing SERVPRO to monitor the drying process.
Thermohygrometers measure temperature and relative humidity. SERVPRO can calculate and create an environment most conducive to drying. When facing a contaminated water loss, it is not only important to dry the structure, but the structure must also be disinfected and deodorized.
Ultra Low-Volume (ULV) Foggers will atomize liquid deodorizing agents, producing a fine mist that can easily penetrate the site where odor-causing residues may accumulate.
Thermal Foggers dispense solvent-based products by creating a dense fog. The fog consists of tiny particles of deodorant solution that attach to and neutralize odor-causing particles to deodorize structures, garments, automobiles and other places where cleaning cannot reach.
Contact SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview at 773-935-6750 if you experience water damage, we are always here to help!
Tips to prevent Water Damage from your Washing Machine.
If your Washing Machine causes Water Damage to your home, call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview.
Washing machines are one of the most common sources of water damage in your home.
The failure of a water supply hose is the primary cause of loss. This can be caused by:
- Pinching the hose while installing or replacing a washing machine, causing a hairline break
- A poor connection to either the washing machine or wall
- The hose’s own aging, which can lead to brittleness
Washing machine drainage issues and internal leaks can also cause flooding to your home.
The most effective ways of preventing damage from your washing machine are to:
- Replace the washing machine intake hose every 5 years
- Check your sewer line after a storm, before running your washing machine
- Don’t overload your washing machine
- Have your machine professionally installed to avoid water line pinches and drainage issues
- Shut off the intake valve behind your machine at the first sign of trouble
- If you can’t access the intake valve, know how to shut off your home’s water main
SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview can help you if you experience water damage from your washing machine.
Call us at (773) 935-6750
Water Damage in your Chicago Home?
For help with Water Damage in your home. call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview at (773) 935-6750.
24 Hour Emergency Service
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview provide emergency water restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays. You can expect an immediate response time, day or night.
A Fast Response Is Crucial
An immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Water is particularly invasive, quickly spreading throughout your property and being absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, etc. SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview arrive quickly and start the water extraction process almost immediately.
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
- Need Emergency Service?
Call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview - (773) 935-6750
When Water Damage Strikes!
SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview can help when Water Damage Strikes!
The first 24 hours following a water loss are the most important in preventing secondary or permanent damage. Within four hours of loss notification, a SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview will be on-site to help ensure a water damage is handled by completing the following steps.
We will inspect affected areas to determine the extent of water damage and will review the inspection with you to answer any questions before beginning any work.
We will take steps to help protect your home or business, as well as personal belongings and other contents, from further damage by extracting the excess water and preparing the area for drying. We will explain the needed emergency services to you step-by-step.
To help ensure your home or business and belongings are dried to appropriate industry standards, we will monitor the drying process. The updates will be consistently communicated to you.
We will repair structural materials, reinstall carpets, and clean affected areas of your property and belongings. A final walkthrough of the jobsite will be conducted with you to help ensure the property was returned to preloss condition.
EMERGENCY WATER DAMAGE TIPS
- Shut off the water source if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Move any paintings, art objects, computers, documents, and other sensitive valuables to a dry place.
- Don’t enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers, or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Don’t use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water; this could cause electrical shock or damage to the vacuum cleaner.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
Have Water or Flood Damage?
Call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview today at (773) 935-6750
Failing Water Heater? Look for these signs!
Maintain your Water Heater to avoid water damage to your home.
Water heaters often work perfectly for a decade or more without any care, so they’re easy to neglect. They are often located in a low traffic area, like a basement, an attic or in a closet.
Failing water heaters can cause significant damage to your home if they start leaking or even worse, if they burst leaving several gallons of water flowing through your home.
Here are a few things that may indicate if your water heater is starting to fail:
- Water doesn't get as hot as it used to.
- There's rust in water coming from your faucets or on your clothes.
- Your hot water heater makes cracking and popping sounds when it's heating.
- There's a metallic taste in your hot water.
- Rust is forming on the outside bottom of your water heater.
- A puddle is forming under your hot water heater.
- The burner units have become clogged or rusty.
If you experience flooding from your water heater, call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview for assistance. Call (773) 935-6750.
Tips on how to maintain your sump pump
If you experience water damage from a sump pump, call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview at (773) 935-6750.
The arrival of spring often signals lots of melting snow and heavy rainfall. If you have a damp basement or live in an area prone to flooding, you know that dealing with water damage can be a homeowner’s worst nightmare.
A sump pump can be an effective device for moving accumulated water away from your house and preventing costly repairs. Here are a few tips to keep your sump pump in good working order.
- Ensure the unit is plugged in to a working ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlet and the cord is in good shape.
- Check the discharge pipe and vent hole for dirt, gravel and other debris. Clear any obstructions, as these cause the pump to work harder to drain the sump basin and increase the chance of overflowing.
- Inspect the intake screen for clogs and remove any debris.
- Remove any visible debris from the pit, and ensure the float component is unobstructed.
- Test the pump by pouring a bucket of water into the basin. As the water level rises, the float should trigger the pump to activate and drain the water quickly.
- If your pump has a backup battery, replace the battery every two to three years, or as directed by the manufacturer.
Have Water or Flood Damage?
Call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview today at (773) 935-6750
Flooded Basement Cleanup in Chicago, IL
If you find water in your basement, we are here to help!
Too many homeowners have descended their basement steps to find a pool of murky water. Water follows the path of least resistance, finding cracks and holes through basement walls. Flooding can often be attributed to insufficient drainage around basement walls, heavy rains, a faulty sump pump, or a combination of these factors.
SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview are highly trained in water damage restoration including basement and crawlspace flooding. We have the experience, expertise, and equipment to remove the water and dry your basement properly. Our water removal and drying process emphasizes monitoring and documentation to validate your property is dry.
- 24 Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any Size Disaster
- Highly Trained Water Damage Restoration Specialists
- Locally Owned and Operated
24 Hour Emergency Water Removal Service
Basements can flood day or night, on weekends and even holidays, and that’s why SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview offer 24 emergency service, 365 days a year. You can expect an immediate response time, day or night.
Faster to Any Size Basement Emergency
Immediate action is crucial when dealing with flooded basements. SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview is faster to any size water emergency.
Highly Trained Water Restoration Specialists
As water damage specialists, we have the expertise and advanced training that enables us to get your basement dried properly and any affected belongings cleaned and dried. We use scientific drying principles and provide validation and documentation that your property is dry and the job is complete.
Basement Flooding? Call Us Today 773-935-6750
Chicago Residents: We Specialize in Flooded Basement Cleanup and Restoration!
This Chicago home’s basement flooded due to heavy rains.
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your Chicago basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today – 773-935-6750
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help 773-935-6750
Cold Weather is coming! Look out for Frozen Pipes.
Frozen pipes can cause damage to your home or business.
Why Pipe Freezing is a Problem
Water has a unique property in that it expands as it freezes. This expansion puts tremendous pressure on whatever is containing it, including metal or plastic pipes. No matter the strength of a container, expanding water can cause pipes to break.
Pipes that freeze most frequently are:
- Pipes that are exposed to severe cold, like outdoor hose bibs, swimming pool supply lines, and water sprinkler lines.
- Water supply pipes in unheated interior areas like basements and crawl spaces, attics, garages, or kitchen cabinets.
- Pipes that run against exterior walls that have little or no insulation.
How to Protect Pipes From Freezing
Before the onset of cold weather, protect your pipes from freezing by following these recommendations:
- Drain water from swimming pool and water sprinkler supply lines following manufacturer's or installer's directions.
- Remove, drain, and store hoses used outdoors. Close inside valves supplying outdoor hose bibs. Open the outside hose bibs to allow water to drain. Keep the outside valve open so that any water remaining in the pipe can expand without causing the pipe to break.
- Add insulation to attics, basements and crawl spaces. Insulation will maintain higher temperatures in these areas.
- Check around the home for other areas where water supply lines are located in unheated areas. Look in the garage, and under kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Both hot and cold water pipes in these areas should be insulated.
- Consider relocating exposed pipes to provide increased protection from freezing.
If you experience water damage in your home or business caused by a broken pipe, call us today at (773) 935-6750.
Ten tips to help prevent water damage to your home
Our equipment in action after a water loss.
- Disconnect hoses
Standing water in a hose may freeze back into the pipe. This may create an ice block that stops your water flow. The block may burst your pipes and create damage to walls, floor and foundation.
- Clean gutters and downspouts
Clean your gutters at least twice a year to avoid blockage and ice dams. Standing water can cause damage to your gutters and roof, and unmanaged overflow may create puddles that could damage your foundation.
Don't forget to clean downspouts to ensure water can flow through, and secure downspouts so that they point away from the home.
- Maintain trees and vegetation
Thriving shrubs can be a beautiful thing — except when their roots wrap around your pipes and break them. That's why it's important to minimize landscaping near utility pipes or, if necessary, remove trees and shrubs that have become too big.
Interior Measures to Prevent Water Damage
- Know your water main
Know the location of your water main, and shut it off if you leave for an extended amount of time.
- Check appliances regularly
Check and maintain your home appliances regularly for leaks, according to manufacturer's directions.
- Investigate leaks right away and fix promptly
If you ignore moisture damage or postpone making the necessary repairs, be prepared to experience mold, mildew, dry rot, or even structural damage to your home.
Keep in mind that homeowner's insurance provides coverage for damage that is sudden and accidental. Damage that results from lack of maintenance is not covered on a standard homeowner’s insurance policy.
- Upgrade washing machine hoses
Old, brittle or leaky washing machine hoses are among the most frequent causes of water loss for homeowners. Replace yours regularly to avoid a mighty mess and expensive damage.
- Install water detection devices
A water detector is a small electronic device that sounds an alarm when its sensor comes in contact with moisture. Its main benefit is that it detects low moisture levels or slow leaks that often go unnoticed. Install it near water heaters, sump pumps, washing machines, dishwashers and toilets to prevent extensive damage and mold growth.
- Check your water pressure
If the water pressure to your home is set too high, pipes and hoses may fail under the pressure. Buy a water pressure gauge at a local hardware store, attach it to an outside faucet, and turn the faucet to full force. The gauge will give you a reading of the home’s water pressure.
Typical residential water systems are designed for water pressure of 40 to 70 psi. If your home’s water pressure exceeds 100 psi, install a pressure regulator (which is available at hardware stores as well.)
- Monitor your water bill
Sometimes, the only way you know that water is leaking is taking a closer look at your water bill. If your usage jumps significantly from one month to the next without explanation, put your "water detective hat" on. Is there a leak in your crawlspace? Or, is it a pipe in your front yard? Don't leave mystery leaks unattended!
If you have water damage to your home please call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview (773) 935-6750.
The Power of the Dehumidifier
Here is are some SERVPRO Dehumidifiers ready for action!
SERVPRO Franchises across the country use dehumidifiers of varying sizes to dry water losses and the structure to prevent mold growth and return your structure to its original state. These dehumidifiers aren’t like the ones that are in stores, but an industrial grade dehumidifier specific to flooding and various categories of water losses.
These are the benefits of the dehumidifiers that we use here at SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview:
- An industrial grade dehumidifier aims to lower the air temperature of the room, so condensation can occur.
- These dehumidifiers can also speed up the drying process because the technology of newer dehumidifiers is more efficient and lowers the cost.
- Our dehumidifiers can be implemented into large-scale places like a gymnasium, pools and other large scale businesses and community centers.
The industrial grade dehumidifier can allow for a faster and more precise drying than simple fans or home dehumidifiers. For any questions about our equipment or any of our various services offered call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview at 773-935-6750.
What to do Until Help Arrives in a Water Loss
Here is a picture of a damaged ceiling caused by a broken pipe.
Unfortunately, water damage events are never scheduled. They typically occur at the most inconvenient time. A water incident can threaten the safety and welfare of your employees and customers, as well as sales and revenues.
Because it is your business, quick response is critical in avoiding business interruptions, revenue loss, costly repairs and undo stress.
Ultimately, you want to get back to normal business functions quickly with little or no interruption.
SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview is here to help. Give us a call at 773-935-6750. We are available 24 hours a day / 7 days a week.
Here are some water damage tips you can use to limit further damage until the SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview crew arrives:
- Call your insurance company
- Call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview 773-935-6750
- Follow these tips to reduce damage and increase the chanced of a successful restoration
- Stop the source of the water.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping or blotting. Do NOT attempt to vacuum up water with standard vacuum equipment.
- Wipe excess water from wood furnishings after removing any contents lying on the surface.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and pillow cushions for even drying.
- Clearly designate wet areas with floor signs and safety tape.
- Pad or block wood furniture to prevent permanent staining of carpet.
- Carefully removed colored items affected areas, especially those in contact with carpet and upholstery.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Do not turn on ceiling fans or light fixtures if ceiling is wet. Avoid standing beneath sagging ceilings.
- Do not attempt to use electrical devices exposed to moisture or use unexposed electrical devices while standing on wet floors - especially wet concrete.
Chicago 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service in Chicago and Cook County.
SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - 773-935-6750
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview
SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.