Safety First After a Flood
Be prepared after a Flood
AFTER A FLOOD
SAFETY FIRST (For businesses and home owners)
Account that all employees or family members are safe by establishing evacuation plans in advance, identifying areas outside the building that are designated meeting places. Assign select individuals to keep a list of their assigned team’s names and contact numbers in order to account for their whereabouts.
If water enters the building and evacuation becomes impossible, move to an upper floor, and wait for rescuers.
While evacuating, avoid attempting to drive through floods or rising water, nearly half of all flash flood fatalities are auto-related.
Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water.
Do not walk through moving water. Even six inches of moving water can make you fall.
Use no open flames (there may be gas escaping from ruptured mains).
Avoid floodwaters. Water may be contaminated by oil, gasoline or raw sewage. Water may also be electrically charged. If the water has entered the structure through the flooding of a creek, stream or river, or if it has filtered through insulation during its intrusion, it is considered to be black water and could be hazardous to your health. Avoid contact with contaminated items as much as possible.
Stay out of any building if it is surrounded by floodwaters.
Listen for news reports to learn if the community’s water supply is safe to drink.
Return only when authorities indicate it is safe.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today - 773-935-6750
The Power of the Dehumidifier
Here is are some SERVPRO Dehumidifiers ready for action!
SERVPRO Franchises across the country use dehumidifiers of varying sizes to dry water losses and the structure to prevent mold growth and return your structure to its original state. These dehumidifiers aren’t like the ones that are in stores, but an industrial grade dehumidifier specific to flooding and various categories of water losses.
These are the benefits of the dehumidifiers that we use here at SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview:
- An industrial grade dehumidifier aims to lower the air temperature of the room, so condensation can occur.
- These dehumidifiers can also speed up the drying process because the technology of newer dehumidifiers is more efficient and lowers the cost.
- Our dehumidifiers can be implemented into large-scale places like a gymnasium, pools and other large scale businesses and community centers.
The industrial grade dehumidifier can allow for a faster and more precise drying than simple fans or home dehumidifiers. For any questions about our equipment or any of our various services offered call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview at 773-935-6750.
What to do Until Help Arrives in a Water Loss
Here is a picture of a damaged ceiling caused by a broken pipe.
Unfortunately, water damage events are never scheduled. They typically occur at the most inconvenient time. A water incident can threaten the safety and welfare of your employees and customers, as well as sales and revenues.
Because it is your business, quick response is critical in avoiding business interruptions, revenue loss, costly repairs and undo stress.
Ultimately, you want to get back to normal business functions quickly with little or no interruption.
SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview is here to help. Give us a call at 773-935-6750. We are available 24 hours a day / 7 days a week.
Here are some water damage tips you can use to limit further damage until the SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview crew arrives:
- Call your insurance company
- Call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview 773-935-6750
- Follow these tips to reduce damage and increase the chanced of a successful restoration
- Stop the source of the water.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping or blotting. Do NOT attempt to vacuum up water with standard vacuum equipment.
- Wipe excess water from wood furnishings after removing any contents lying on the surface.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and pillow cushions for even drying.
- Clearly designate wet areas with floor signs and safety tape.
- Pad or block wood furniture to prevent permanent staining of carpet.
- Carefully removed colored items affected areas, especially those in contact with carpet and upholstery.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Do not turn on ceiling fans or light fixtures if ceiling is wet. Avoid standing beneath sagging ceilings.
- Do not attempt to use electrical devices exposed to moisture or use unexposed electrical devices while standing on wet floors - especially wet concrete.
10 Key Fire Safety Tips
10 Key Fire Safety Tips
10 Key Fire Safety Tips
Though some fires are unavoidable acts of nature or unpredictable accidents, many fires in the home and workplace are avoidable. The following tips, courtesy of the NFPA, can help reduce the likelihood of a fire in your business or home
- Watch your cooking - Stay in the kitchen if you are frying, grilling or broiling food. Never allow young children around the stove or oven, especially if they are not closely attended.
- Give space heaters space - Keep space heaters at least three feet from anything that can burn.
- Smoke outside - If you must smoke inside, have a sturdy, deep ashtray. Never smoke in bed.
- Keep matches and lighters out of reach - Keep matches and lighters in high cabinets, preferably under a child lock.
- Inspect electrical cords - Replace cords that are cracked, damaged, have broken plugs or have loose connections.
- Be careful when using candles - Keep candles at least one foot from anything that can burn. Blow them out before you leave the room or go to sleep.
- Have a fire escape plan - Make a fire escape plan and practice it at least twice a year.
- Install smoke alarms - Install alarms on every level of your office or home and inside bedrooms. Interconnect them so they all sound at once.
- Test smoke alarms - Test alarms once per month. Replace batteries once per year or as needed.
- Install sprinklers - Sprinklers can help maintain and sometimes even extinguish fires, giving your local fire department a better chance of saving your property.
National Preparedness Month
Disasters don't plan. You can!
September is National Preparedness Month and SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview is a committed to helping to promote the importance of preparedness planning.
The theme this year is Disasters don’t plan ahead. You can!
The first step is to make a plan. With the help of the resources available from ready.gov, you can be ready for a disaster before it strikes.
Your family may not be together if a disaster strikes, so it is important to know how you’ll contact one another and reconnect if separated. Establish a family meeting place that’s familiar and easy to find.
Step 1: Put together a plan with your family to discuss a communication plan & an evacuation route.
Step 2: Consider specific needs in your household.
Step 3: Fill out a Family Emergency Plan
Step 4: Practice your plan with your family/household
Contact SERVPRO® of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview for more information and tools to help you be “Ready for whatever happens.”
Thunderstorm Safety Tips
Keep your family safe!
Here are some guidelines to follow to help keep you and your family safe:
- The best defense against thunderstorms is to stay inside a sturdy building or shelter that can protect you from deadly lightning, large hail, damaging winds, flooding rain and tornadoes. Fortunately, thunderstorms typically do not last very long and will most often pass by your location in less than one hour.
- Once in a shelter, stay away from windows and avoid electrical equipment and plumbing. Remember to bring pets inside. If there is time, secure loose objects outside as these objects often become dangerous flying debris in high winds.
- Postpone outdoor activities until the storms have passed.
- If caught outside, take shelter in a sturdy enclosed building or hard top automobile immediately. Avoid open spaces, isolated objects, high ground and metallic objects.
- Get out of boats and away from bodies of water. Remember, if you can hear thunder, you are close enough to the storm to be struck by lightning.
If a tornado is spotted, act quickly and move to the lowest level basement of your shelter, putting as many walls between yourself and the outside as possible.
Chicago Residents: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
Be careful! Without proper training, you could be spreading mold throughout your home.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeviewfor mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 773-935-6750
Emergency Ready Profile (ERP)
Emergency Ready Profile
Did you know that 50% of businesses may never reopen after suffering a damage? Of the ones that do survive, the majority have a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. By developing a SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action.
Having a plan in place not only lets you know how to handle emergencies timely and efficiently but helps speak trust to your clients and employees by knowing that should your business be affected by a disaster, they don't necessarily have to be.
Advantages of having an ERP:
- A no cost assessment of your facility
- A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and priority contact information.
- Establishes SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
No one ever plans on a disaster, but you can plan for it. Now is the time to ask yourself, "Are you ready for whatever happens?"
Call us today at 773-935-6750 to set up a free appointment and get started.
Chicago Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Chicago Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 773-935-6750
When Storms or Floods hit Chicago, SERVPRO is ready!
Our highly trained crews are ready to respond 24/7 to storm or flood damage in Chicago
SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Chicago, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams [[http://www.SERVPROgoldcoastlincolnparklakeview.com/disaster-recovery]] that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 773-935-6750