Tips for Cleaning Mold from Children’s Bath Toys
If you see signs of Mold, Call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview - (773) 935-6750
Cleaning bath toys that spend hours every week in warm soapy water may seem silly, but it is not.
Since mold grows where there is moisture, bath toys are a prime target for mold. Mold can form when toys aren’t properly drained or dried out. Here are some tips to help you clean your bath toys and get them free of mold.
Boil the toys in water
Place your child’s toys in a pot of boiling water. Squeeze them out to remove all the mold and then lay them out to dry.
Clean them with vinegar
Mix together one gallon of water and ½ cup of white vinegar. Let the toys soak in the mixture for one hour. Squeeze them out and scrub them thoroughly.
Soak them in bleach
Mix one gallon of water and ¾ cups of bleach in a bucket and allow the toys to soak overnight. After taking the toys out of the solution rinse them with water several times before putting them out to dry.
Cover the holes
A lot of bath toys have holes in them to allow your kids to squirt water or make squeaky noises. While this might be entertaining for them, it also easily allows the toys to store water and grow mold. When you are sure the toys are thoroughly dry, plug up the hole with a drop of hot glue.
Run them through the washer
A simple solution to remove the mold from your child’s toys is running them through the dishwasher or washing machine. It’s an easy way to get the job done.
Have Mold Related Questions?
Call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview – 773-935-6750
Preventing Mold in the Bathroom
If you have Mold in your Bathroom, call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview - (773) 935-6750
The bathroom is one of the most common places in a home where mold can grow. The damp and usually dark conditions make it a perfect place for mold to thrive. However, if you reduce the amount of moisture in the bathroom and clean it frequently, the chances of mold growing will be greatly reduced. Here are some essential tips on how to prevent and reduce mold in the bathroom:
- Ensure you have proper ventilation by opening a window or by running your exhaust fan for 30 minutes after you shower.
- Use your air conditioner or dehumidifier to keep your household relative humidity levels below 50 percent.
- Fix any leaking toilets, sinks or pipes, which can cause excess moisture.
- Make sure your moisture problem isn’t coming from a leaky roof or overflowing gutters.
- Wipe down your shower often. Wiping down your shower after using it removes any lingering moisture.
- Eliminate damp hiding places for mold like wallpaper, fabric curtains, even bathroom rugs. If you’re going to have rugs and store towels in the open in your bathroom, be sure to wash them often.
- If you don’t have shower doors, be sure to use a mold and mildew resistant curtain.
- Keep it light in the bathroom. Since mold likes darkness you can discourage it by opening your bathroom shades, leaving your lights on (you can get a timer) or even installing a sky light.
- Make bathroom cleaning part of your daily routine. Spray your shower and tub with a commercial shower spray that contains bleach or another mold/mildew fighting ingredient. If you have marble, always read the label first to be sure the spray is safe to use
If you have any questions about Mold – Call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview – (773) 935-6750
Is Hidden Mold Lurking?
This mold was found behind a kitchen cabinet.
You may suspect hidden mold if your home or building smells moldy, but you cannot see the source, or if you know there has been water damage at the property. Mold may be hidden in places such as the back side of dry wall, wallpaper, or paneling, the top side of ceiling tiles, the underside of carpets and pads, etc. Other possible locations of hidden mold include areas inside walls around pipes (with leaking or condensing pipes), the surface of walls behind furniture (where condensation forms), inside ductwork, and in roof materials above ceiling tiles (due to roof leaks or insufficient insulation).
Investigating hidden mold problems may be difficult and will require caution when the investigation involves disturbing potential sites of mold growth. For example, removal of wallpaper can lead to a massive release of spores if there is mold growing on the underside of the paper. If you believe that you may have a hidden mold problem, please call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview for help.
Highly Trained Mold Remediation Specialists
We specialize in water and mold damage restoration, the cornerstone of our business. SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview have the training and expertise to safely handle any mold situation.
- Applied Microbial Remediation Specialist
- Water Damage Restoration Technician
- Applied Structural Drying Technician
If You See Signs of Mold, Call (773) 935-6750
Commercial Mold Remediation
Please call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview if you suspect Mold.
Besides causing a major business interruption, a mold problem can present a serious health risk for people exposed at your commercial property. Mold infestations can be caused by minor water intrusions, like a slow roof leak or loose plumbing fitting. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. If you suspect your property has a mold problem, call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park/ Lakeview, we will respond quickly and work fast to manage the situation.
- 24 Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any Size Disaster
- A Trusted Leader in the Mold and Water Restoration Industry
- Highly Trained Mold and Water Damage Restoration Specialists
Commercial Mold Remediation Presents Unique Challenges
Mold can spread quickly through a property if left untreated. SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview can respond quickly, working to first contain the infestation to help prevent its spread to other parts of the building. Next, we will begin the remediation process, working safely and effectively to manage the situation. We have the training, experience, and equipment to contain the mold infestation and remediate it to preloss condition.
Have a Mold Problem? Call Us Today 773-935-6750
Tips on how to maintain your sump pump
If you experience water damage from a sump pump, call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview at (773) 935-6750.
The arrival of spring often signals lots of melting snow and heavy rainfall. If you have a damp basement or live in an area prone to flooding, you know that dealing with water damage can be a homeowner’s worst nightmare.
A sump pump can be an effective device for moving accumulated water away from your house and preventing costly repairs. Here are a few tips to keep your sump pump in good working order.
- Ensure the unit is plugged in to a working ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlet and the cord is in good shape.
- Check the discharge pipe and vent hole for dirt, gravel and other debris. Clear any obstructions, as these cause the pump to work harder to drain the sump basin and increase the chance of overflowing.
- Inspect the intake screen for clogs and remove any debris.
- Remove any visible debris from the pit, and ensure the float component is unobstructed.
- Test the pump by pouring a bucket of water into the basin. As the water level rises, the float should trigger the pump to activate and drain the water quickly.
- If your pump has a backup battery, replace the battery every two to three years, or as directed by the manufacturer.
Have Water or Flood Damage?
Call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview today at (773) 935-6750
Conditions In Chicago Might Be Right For Mold
SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview knows what to do if mold grows in your home.
It’s estimated that more than 1 million types of mold exist, yet less than 10 percent have actually been named. This means mold is very common in both indoor and outdoor environments.
If the right conditions exist, mold will grow. Those conditions include:
- Water - Different mold types require varying amounts of liquid before growth begins.
- Temperature - Normal indoor temperatures will promote mold growth.
- Time - Initial mold colonizers can take hold within one day after being exposed to an adequate water supply.
Mold growth can occur in any home, so it’s important to keep an eye out for situations that might promote mold activity. Roof and chimney leaks, wet basements, or condensation from ducts that dampen surrounding insulation are just a few examples of issues that make a house a target for mold growth.
If you suspect mold in your home, call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview to assess the situation. We have the knowledge, tools and track record to effectively remediate mold in your home.
Call us today at 773-935-6750.
Crawl Space moisture can cause mold growth
Keep an eye out for mold in your crawl space.
With excessive crawl space moisture, mold will grow at a rapid pace. Crawl space mold can be damaging to your home's structure, your flooring, and anything else located in the area.
Mold survives on organic materials, such as wood, and when it's damp it provides the perfect environment for growth.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today at 773-935-6750.
Restaurants can't afford to wait when Disaster Strikes!
SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview is here to help your restaurant if disaster strikes!
The restaurant business and food service industry are numbers-driven. So is the one company they call on to get them back in service faster when fire or water damage strikes. SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview is the #1 Choice in Commercial Cleanup and Restoration.
AT SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview our number one priority is getting your business and dining room back in operation as quickly as possible. When disaster strikes your restaurant or manufacturing center, you need the expertise of a team who is trained in food service cleanup.
Our specialists are trained in health codes, regulations and the use of food-safe products. We understand the importance of getting your dining room, kitchen or production operational with minimal or no interruption at all. We’ll work to ensure all surfaces are restored and sanitized to health and food safety specifications, and you are able to get back to business quicker.
Our experience in the food service industry has given us the ability to provide a variety of detailed services for the following types of facilities:
Food Manufacturing Facilities
Food Distribution Centers
Fast Food Restaurants
Fine Dining Restaurants
Senior Living Facility Kitchens
If your restaurant has experienced a fire or water disaster, please call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview Today – (773) 935-6750.
Tornado Safety Tips - Be Prepared!
Stay Safe form a Tornado!
Tornadoes are one of nature’s most violent storms and can cause death, injury, and destruction within seconds. Here a few tips from Ready.gov on how to protect yourself and your family at a time when every second counts.
Know your risk
A tornado is a violently rotating column of air that extends from a thunderstorm to the ground and is often—although not always—visible as a funnel cloud. Lightning and hail are common in thunderstorms that produce tornadoes. Tornadoes cause extensive damage to structures and disrupt transportation, power, water, gas, communications, and other services in its direct path and in neighboring areas. Related thunderstorms can cause heavy rains, flash flooding, and hail.
About 1,200 tornadoes hit the United States every year and every state is at risk.
Tornadoes can strike in any season, but occur most often in the spring and summer months. They can occur at all hours of the day and night, but are most likely to occur between 3 p.m. and 9 p.m.
The extent of destruction caused by tornadoes depends on the tornado’s intensity, size, path, time of day, and amount of time it is on the ground. Wind from tornadoes can reach more than 300 miles per hour, and damage paths can be more than 1 mile wide and 50 miles long. Wind from tornadoes can destroy buildings and trees, transform debris into deadly projectiles, and roll vehicles.
- They may strike quickly, with little or no warning.
- They may appear nearly transparent until dust and debris are picked up or a cloud forms in the funnel.
- Tornadoes have been known to move in any direction.
- Tornadoes can accompany tropical storms and hurricanes as they move onto land.
- Waterspouts are tornadoes that form over water.
Know the Terms:
Familiarize yourself with these terms to help identify a tornado hazard:
- Tornado Watch - Tornadoes are possible. When there is a Watch, move to be near enough to a shelter or sturdy building to be able to get there quickly in a few minutes if there is a Warning or if you see signs of a tornado approaching. Remain alert for approaching storms.
- Tornado Warning - A tornado has been sighted or indicated by weather radar. Take shelter immediately.
During a Tornado:
If you are under a tornado warning, seek shelter immediately! Most injuries associated with high winds are from flying debris, so remember to protect your head.
Call SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview – 773-935-6750 if you experience storm damage.
Generator Safety Tips - To Keep your Business Running.
Keep your Business running with the help of a portable Generator.
In an emergency, portable generators offer lifesaving benefits when outages affect your business. They can safely power important electrical equipment such as portable heating units, computers, water pumps, freezers, refrigerators and lighting. However, portable generator use can also be very hazardous.
If you plan on using an emergency generator, it’s essential that you take precautions for your safety and the safety of those working to restore power.
Follow these tips for safe portable generator use from the NSC:
- Always read and follow the manufacturer's operating instructions before running generator.
- Engines emit carbon monoxide. Never use a generator inside your business or other enclosed areas.
- Only use your generator outdoors, away from open windows, vents, or doors.
- Use a battery-powered carbon monoxide detector in the area you’re running a generator.
- Gasoline and its vapors are extremely flammable. Allow the generator engine to cool at least 2 minutes before refueling and always use fresh gasoline.
- Never operate the generator near combustible materials.
If you experience Storm or Water damage due to a power outage in your commercial building, do not hesitate to give SERVPRO of Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview a call at 773-935-6750.