Electrical Fire Danger in the Gold Coast District?
Knob and Tube Fire Danger
While restoring a beautiful Queen Anne-style home in the historic Gold Coast District in Chicago, we found some of the original knob and tube wiring buried in the insulation. Knob and tube wiring is not grounded, and amazingly, a fire had never happened.
SERVPRO® of Gold Coast /Lincoln Park /Lakeview responds to fire damage emergencies in the Gold Coast district throughout the year and has seen evidence of the old knob and tube wiring in these historic homes. Most of these homes have been rewired, but many still contain some of this wiring that ranges from seventy to one-hundred and thirty years old!
Here are some electrical safety reminders from the National Fire Protection Association:
Call a qualified electrician or your landlord if you have:
- Frequent problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers
- A tingling feeling when you touch an electrical appliance
- Discolored or warm wall outlets
- A burning or rubbery smell coming from an appliance
- Flickering or dimming lights
- Sparks from an outlet
SERVPRO® of Gold Coast /Lincoln Park /Lakeview has a team of restoration technicians on-call 24-hours a day to respond to fire damage emergencies. Call us at 773-935-6750. We’ll clean and restore your fire damage in the Gold Coast, “Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO of Gold Coast /Lincoln Park /Lakeview is Independently Owned and Operated.