Heavy Rains can cause Flash Flooding
The Midwest has experienced some severe weather events that have caused significant damage to homes and commercial properties in our area. SERVPRO of Downtown Chicago / Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview is trained and certified to restore storm damage by the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). Heavy rains can cause flash flooding, so it is a good idea to know what to do when faced with a flash flood situation. Here are some flash flood safety tips from the National Weather Service:
- During periods of heavy rains, stay away from flood-prone areas such as stream beds, drainage ditches, and culverts
- Move to higher ground if flooding threatens your area
- If you live or work in flood-prone areas, remain alert during periods of heavy rain
- Be especially cautious at night as it is harder to recognize flood dangers
- Never drive your car into water of unknown depth. Most flash flood deaths occur when people drive their vehicles into flood waters. Remember: Turn Around Don’t Drown!
- If your vehicle stalls, abandon it immediately and seek higher ground. Flood water may rise quickly, cover the vehicle, and sweep it away.
- Stay out of flooded areas. The water may still be rising and very swift. A rapidly flowing stream can sweep you off your feet and sweep your vehicle downstream.
Call Us Today!
If your home or commercial business has experienced flooding damage, SERVPRO of Downtown Chicago / Gold Coast / Lincoln Park / Lakeview will restore the damage “Like it never even happened.” Call us today at 773-935-6750.